May 3, 2010

REI spending spree - well sort of

I am planning a trip - a couple of them actually. So I need some stuff. I went to REI because they are nice people, well informed, answered any of my questions, and always willing to help out a customer in finding the right thing for them. Even if that means stuffing 25lbs into several different backpacks for me to try on to feel the structure of the backpack with real weight in it. Saturday May 1st, they had a friends and family day. If you spent over $200 then you received 25% off and if you spent less than $200 then you received 20% off. So overall a good deal from them. Here is what I bought (you may see it, if you live close by or on one of my upcoming trips). The best thing about REI is 100% return. So if what I buy doesn't work for me they will take it back and give me a full refund.


This is a Granite Gear Vapor Trail. Link Here.


This is going to be my day pack. It is called REI Flash 18. Link Here.


I needed a water bottle to attach to me, so I don't have to carry it in my hands. I liked this design because I could drink from it without untwisted a big hole and the loop wasn't attached to the lid part. Link Here.


Every time I travel I have a hard time finding good size bottles for my stuff. With the new TSA rules nothing can be over 3 fl. oz. The above picture is exactly 3 fl. oz. and the below one isn't. I think they are cool because they are easy to squeeze and the tip where the stuff comes out is has a protective lip (like the upside down ketchup bottles). Link Here.


These are similar to the 3 fl. oz., but these are 2 fl. oz. and they have a suction cup on the back to adhere to a shower wall. Link Here.


I also bought a 1 fl. oz. hard plastic bottle for my lotion. It is small and has a flip up tiny spout so I can have easy access to the lotion without a lot coming out and a lot going to waste. Link Here.



The next thing I bought was compression bags. I don't know if these work, but if I travel in winter and have to take a heavy jacket then I rather get all the air out to save some space. These I bought to try out I hope they work, but if not I will have to research some other ways to compress bulky clothes. Link Here.


Finally, some small things, I bought a Nite Ize S-biner size 2 (bought 2) (Link Here) and size 3 (bought 1) (Link Here) and a small veralink carabiner (bought 2). Link Here.

I spent a lot, but not as much as I could have if there wasn't a sale. I will be enjoying these shortly, in the next few weeks.

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

Lookin good, Katie!!

Justin said...

Woot! This stuff looks great. We've both got Flash 18 packs too. Opening and closing it takes a little getting used to, but once you figure it out, it's a cinch.

Also check out Eagle Creek packing cubes for organizing your stuff inside your pack (or suitcase). The double-sided half cubes are really handy for tshirts and socks and underwear, and the full cube is good for pants and heavier shirts.