June 28, 2010

Sushi with Beth (not pictured)

I signed up for a Sushi class and then posted it on my blog. Beth, my sister-in-law, saw it and decided to join me. We had a good time, learning some new skills and chit-chatting.

We first off learned about Japanese rice, which I call sticky rice. We learned a few other things, then started with our sushi making course. The first step was learning how to wet our hands enough so we didn't have rice hand(no picture), it is where all the rice sticks to your hands and you can't get it off without a faucet. We started by making balls of rice to go with our shrimp. Then learned to butterfly our shrimp.

Shrimp is officially butterflied.

Then we attempted to take our ball of rice, which we turned into a rectangle/cube shape with out fingers and hand. Then placed the shrimp on top and squished it on top to incorporate it to the rice.

Rice underneath butterflied shrimp.


Then we placed it on a plate and proceeded to the next type.

Lets just say raw fish is not something I am totally comfortable with, so I made it, but only ate this tuna roll. It wasn't bad, but it still isn't my top pick. We first laid out the mat, got a piece of dry seaweed, and rice.

We placed the rice over the seaweed, like so. The raw tuna it in the upper left hand of the picture, it tried to pick the smallest strips.


We then placed the tuna on the rice. wa-la.


And rolled is together.


Side view, I got some skills, huh.


We then sliced in half.


Then in thirds.


There are the tuna rolls, Shrimp with rice underneath and then a raw tuna slice placed on top of a rice rectangle/cube like the shrimp.


We also did raw salmon slices on top of rice rectangle/cube. I never attempted to eat the raw tuna and salmon slice on top of the rice. It was just to big of a step for me. But I attempted everything else.


We then made battleships, which have rice rectangle/cube, then you wrap a seaweed strip around the circumference of the rice, then place crab mixture on top in the remaining area.

We then made a one like a cone which had rice, English cucumber, smoked trout, cream cheese, and of course the seaweed. That one was my favorite.


Here is the final plate. Clockwise from noon. Raw tuna with rice ball underneath, Two raw salmon with rice ball underneath, Trout cone, Two battleships with crab and rice, Six raw tuna rolls, and Two shrimp with rice balls underneath.

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

OMG I want sushi right now! Totally salivating. Nice job! I will expect a sushi meal from you when we come visit :-)

Stephanie said...

And guess what? I went and had sushi for lunch. Had to fulfill the craving you nicely ignited. Craving fulfilled... for now. Still want some when we see you.