October 17, 2011

Arrival to Cannes, France- long post

As I was planning this trip, the trickiest part was trying to find trains to go along the Mediterranean Sea. I didn't mind the length of time or multiple trains, but I had to figure places to stop along the way. Luckily my brother's girlfriend Stephanie has her mom living close to Cannes, France. I then proceeded to ask permission if she, her mom Chris, would be kind enough to house me for a day or two. She was happy and excited to meet me.

I left Barcelona to Montpellier. There I had to wait in line to buy train tickets to Nice (I would get off on a prior stop in Cannes). I called Chris to let her know the time of arrival. I received the message machine which of course is in French. I had hoped I called the right number, but was unsure. So I then called my mom to email her with the details so I made sure I covered all my bases.

As I was on the train I wondered would I know what Chris looked like. I have never meet her, I have seen her in photo books my brother creates. I got off the train walked up some steps and did a hmm is that her. She did a hmm is that her too. I said Chris and she said Katie. I was glad to meet her and not get the wrong person.

This is what it looked like when I arrived. Night time in Cannes. View from a hill/mountain with a church clock thing.

Lots of fancy boats.


Church/clock thing.


Sunset.

During pre-trip emails we covered some bases. Made sure I wasn't allergic to things, etc. One was, do I like cats? Yep. This is Leah, who is the nicest cat, who enjoys being petted, and is fluffy.

I like her style.

The next morning on the 7th of April, we decided to go do something. We had to send a package home. (I have a problem, I like to buy things, lots of things when I travel. It is a sickness and I am working on it. First step is admitting it, right?!?.)

We went to a perfume maker in the city called Grasse. We thought we could make perfume, but it was a tour and then buying their product.



Me outside the Parfumerie.


Some mechanically (quite silly) mannequin demonstrators. They help show the process. The tour was in french, so after the lady spoke Chris would give me a quick that is what she said.

At the end they spray you with perfume and then you can smell it on your skin(your skin oils change the smell of the perfume). I liked one which the lady said was for older ladies. I liked it. I couldn't afford the big bottles so I bought a 5 coffer set for 18 euros. After we were done we headed to another perfume place(there was 3 in the same area). We did the tour, then we got sprayed again. By the end we probably smelled quite weird to anyone around us. We laugh about how we were both running out of places for them the spray. I couldn't afford anything in the next place then 6 bottle coffer set was 54 euros.

Then we headed to a town where Stephanie's sister lives, she was working so I didn't meet her. We did have lunch and looked around.

I liked this arch.


I am standing in front of the arch.

Lunch time.

This was yummy, olive pate. Chris told me that is was Justin's(my brothers favorite). Is it? I don't know, he eats pretty much anything.


I needed help with the menu, all I requested was no raw egg yolk in the middle. I think this dish had raw egg yolk in the middle and Chris kindly asked for it not to have it. It was a pasta with a creamy-ish sauce with bacon, and cherry tomatoes. It was good. I was trying to be polite in the picture. During my pre-trip dinners my dad would complain about my eating habits. I then proceeded to tell Chris, she said she didn't mind. After this picture was taken I ate the pasta like I normally eat it. I bite it off in my mouth.


We walked up the street a bit, to see the shops, but they were a bit expensive or nothing I needed to buy. I just liked the dog in the middle of the street.

We continued our day to a glass blowing studio.

Here is the name and the city Biot.


Yep documentation. The guy is working on something. I think it was a fish, though I don't have a end picture.


Patience is key and slow moving. There was a lot more steps then the pictures below.


Inserting in fire to keep glass hot.


Molding and shaping it.


Some different end pieces. Quite nice.


Lots of variety in color and design.

Then we decided to drive and park in town and walk the main street. I bought a charm, and a citrine necklace that I am wearing in the picture below.

Chris and I enjoying a drink and the beautiful weather.

Then we had a tour via the car, which I enjoyed. It is hard to take good shots, but some do surprise you. I loved doing a car tour I did it with Justin in San Francisco long time ago, so why not in Cannes, France. Here are a few shots from around the area (not specifically Cannes).



(car was parked and taken by walking across the street)


(car was parked and taken by walking across the street)





As the sunset was happening we were in Cannes on the beach.

I just had to put my feet in. It was cold.


Relaxing.


At this point I was getting tired and not feeling well. We left to head home for the night and eat some dinner. I arrive back at the apartment and changed into my PJs and took a short nap as Chris reheated the dinner from the night before which was delicious. Don't know what I came down with, but the story continues on the next blog.

1 comment:

Justin said...

Katie, I really like this post. It's so neat that you had a chance to spend a day with Chris and see a part of the world that means so much to me and Stephanie.

Oh, and p.s.: that olive "paté" is called tapenade, and I think it's great spread lightly on a thin slice of good baguette with a bit of hard sheep's milk cheese. Yum!