July 7, 2011

Doors and Door handles

I am a details person. I have the ability to see the big picture, but I focus on the details the most. Through out my travels, but especially Spain the doors and door handles fascinated me. These are the pictures I have, but there may be more in future countries (don't know yet).

I decided to take pictures of them because I liked the design and wanted to have it displayed in my future home as a photograph or a painting or whatever.

Here are a few of my favorites from Spain.

This was located on a church in Madrid, Spain. I took this my first day in Madrid. I decided to explore on foot as much as possible to get my barrings. This door was on a side street and the other door in to a church had a women on the outside of it. I didn't speak Spanish so I was worried if I could go in or not, I didn't go in. Later after a few cities of seeing ladies speaking Spanish and sitting outside church doors I realized they are wanting money and will bless you if you give them money. In the end I never went in this church, but the door was enough for me.


Located in La Mancha, Spain where Don Quixote dreamed his dream. This was a stop break for a tour of mine. This town has many tour buses stop I think there was 10 other tour buses the same time as ours. I didn't buy any of the very expensive things. I used the restroom and took this shot. All the doors in the town were this blue and the buildings a stark white. It was small town and was glad to keep moving on to our next destination.


A Cathedral door in Seville, Spain. I like this Cathedral which use to be a Mosque. I had to be reminded where this door was from, I remember the place, but not the name. It was a church/mosque, but mostly what I remember is the now bell tower use to be a minaret for the call to prayer in the Muslim faith. They built it so that the man who did the call to pray was taken up ramps inside by a horse then he walked up the rest of the way. I walked up all 34 ramps...whoo it was exhausting. I wouldn't want a man to do 34 ramps 5 times a day I am glad they did a horse.

SIDE NOTE: I can say that mosque at this time have nothing on churches in terms of doors or even the interior. They were detailed and intricate with embellishing on all surfaces. Impressive.


Located at the Alhambra ('The Red Palace') which is in Granada, Spain. I took this shot because of how small the knocker was and the lovely shells on the door. Come to find out all the doors mostly have the metal dots (not usually shells), but they are to strengthen the doors if there was an attack. I didn't know that. I thought that was an interesting fact to know.


A detail of a door in the mosque/cathedral in Cordoba, Spain. This place was fantastic. I wouldn't suggest the tour guides for this place(or at least the one I had - he was awful). This was a lovely door, I took this shot as more for a photograph for my wall. The Islamic design is all geometric and symmetrical, which aesthetically overpowering when you walk in a room full of it. You all will see it in the coming weeks when I get a blog together about Cordoba and Seville.


Inside the Real Alcazar in Seville, Spain. Here is a snippet of the geometric design with the tile and the moldings. I like this door because it was painted, but also to show the color that would have been painted in the alabaster plaster moldings above the door. I didn't know that they would have been painted, but I did learn that on one of my tours, then I did see some paint color still left. What a wonderful place of design and color. Every room you walked into you thought WOW and HOW. *mouth open moment*


Door at Real Alcazar in Seville, Spain. Here is a detail of a door again. All I thought taking these photos was how much time and effort went into all of this I am still enjoying hundreds of years after. Amazing. Then I thought, what are our future generation going to see in a few hundred years?


Door at the Seville Cathedral in Seville, Spain. Small, Intricate designs that amaze the amount of work portrayed on every corner.


Detail of a door at the Alhambra in Granada, Spain. This one grabbed me do to the deep engravings of design where it floats a little.


Located in the very narrow tiny streets part of the old Jewish Quarter in Barcelona, Spain. As I visited Madrid and same of Barcelona (but mostly Madrid) was the graffiti everywhere. It is not on the main monuments, but it covers a lot of things and no one seems to care. I saw it on trees, park benches, doors, windows, and walls. After awhile that is all I could see was graffiti. It was sad to see.


Church door in Barcelona, Spain. I don't remember this door. The metal work was also prominent so that is also why I took a photo to document that too.


Barcelona, Spain located near the water. Took it while on a free walking tour of the Gothic part of the city.


Barcelona, Spain the door is by Gaudi on a Gaudi building. This door is on a interesting building with it being all white titles and metal balcony railings. You will see this picture again when I do some Gaudi blogs.

I like the details that I saw it makes something special and unique for me. Hope you enjoyed the doors and door handles. Not what you thought you would be looking at today were you :) but now you get to see the details too.

1 comment:

Short Fry said...

This was a fascinating entry, kool kid. I'm really blown away! Who ever would think a post about door handles and doors could be so interesting??

All these details and beautiful intricacies make me realize how simple American structures are designed.

Did you sneakily take home any of the doors as souvenirs? ;)