July 5, 2011

Flamenco March 23 2011

This was a day I went to bed and thought to myself 'I'm in SPAIN.'

I started the day on a tour with Julia Travel booked through Viator.com. We did a day trip to Avila and Segovia. Not much to see in Avila, but Segovia was great - wished I had more time.

That night at my hostel they had things going on. That night was flamenco night. Flamenco is awesome strong beautiful loud captivating sexy invigorating but not outwardly. Flamenco orginally started with just clapping and dancing, but then it added guitar players, flutes, basses, and drums. We had guitars and one song with a flute player. The singer was good. All over captivating.


First half of show and the next picture is the second half. The guitar players changed seats.

I went out after Flamenco with people I meet at the flamenco. It was a good night with food, galican style(ham slices with olive oil and paprika) and churros con chocolate. Tonight was the first night I felt like I am in Spain not Mexico or California. I look at pictures and I can't believe I went there. I also can't believe I saw flamenco - how awesome. I was overwhelmed what I was feeling with the flamenco. She danced, 2 guitar players and a women singer and all of us (about 25) were silent or taking pictures or video what we were watching - seeing it you wish you were that powerful pap-pap ^pop^ pap-pap her heel went clap-clap clapclap clap-clap the hands went ding DINGDING DIng ding the guitars went and all came together with precision, silent communication between the players - all in a passionate combination.


A snapshot of images of the dance...click to see it bigger

I attempted my first restaurant today - enjoyed my first churros and overall hung out with people from my hostel and others from another hostel. I may not be as fun and up this late tomorrow, but it was great to feel like this isn't just a waste of time and going through the emotions. I am enjoying myself and excited about exploring tomorrow. Off to bed is it 140AM SPAIN time.

Strong and composed dance


Flamenco - Madrid, Spain - Short dance


Flamenco - Madrid, Spain - Long dance

1 comment:

Short Fry said...

I can easily see why you feel in love w/ flamenco. The dancer was amazing and it looks like an incredible experience. It also you like had great seats b/c you're so close. :)

Only question- now that you are back in TX...when are your very own lessons starting?