April 3, 2008

Unpaid Internship

A few weeks back I e-mailed the Dairy Barn (non-profit art gallery actually in an old dairy barn) here in town. I asked if there were any job available or volunteer option. Then proceeded to tell how I am graduating soon and wanted to gain experience. I was also willing to get down and dirty, not those exact terms, but still the same meaning. I received an email from the a lady there and wanted to meet with me. It was right before finals (the time I got the flu). I explained that things were coming to an end and after a certain day I was free to meet with her. As days passed, I finally slowly got better, but decided to visit my grandmother for a few days during the University's Spring Break. I email her afterwards and said I could meet on Monday 31st. I did and then on Wednesday I started. They have plenty of things to do this time of year. In the end of my three months I will have helped with putting up four shows. I will also get an overall encompass of what the Dairy Barn does. I would like a paid job, but the experience I will receive I will get a job in some type of the museum field. All museums are different in different ways. So in my searching I will have to figure out which museum I would like to work at or if I want to work at a museum.

All the people are nice. There are five main people that do everything dealing with the items and scheduling things in the Dairy Barn. Then there is one guy who is maintenance. Then everything else is covered by volunteers, but none of them I see(they only work when needed).

The shows I have done slight help is the Film Festival Posters(between c.1975-c.1985) and Bead International and Beyond Basketry(scroll down to the bottom to see a few pictures from 2006). Below is my favorite from 2004--"Summer in Fargo"

No comments: