April 12, 2010

Statesman 10K

Run/ Walking hasn't been a top priority, due to injury, emotional ups and downs, exhaustion from work, and overall excitement. I still occasionally run/ walk and I am doing 2 minutes walking and 1:30 running. So not so bad. I will see what happens on race day. I am going run/walking today. The last time I did this route I made is a 2.8 miles in 35 ish minutes. I didn't go as far as I wanted because I had a time limited to get back home. Now I am trying to do 3 miles, hopefully under 40 minutes. I will see....Okay I am back and I did 3 miles in 40 to 50 minutes. - written the 9th two days prior of the race -

I also started trying to do pilates/ab workout. Not a lot, only a total of 10 minutes every day. The first day was tough. It was hard to laugh and to touch my stomach, luckily it wasn't as bad as it could have been. I didn't know how this also would effect me in the 10K (6.2 miles).

Here is a picture of us on race day.


We decided to walk 3 minutes and run 1:30. In the beginning of the race, we zigged-and-zagged through the walkers. We kept up pace of the 3/1:30. In the end I was falling apart. My breathing wasn't bad (meaning my lungs weren't burning), nothing was overly sore or hurting me to stop, I just couldn't seem to have the energy to pick-up my legs. BUT, dad was there say 'you can do it,' 'you aren't on your reserves--yes dad I am--do you feel like throwing up?--no dad--then you are not on your reserves yet,' and 'you are almost there, just a mile or two left or just around the bend.' I am glad I had support, because without it I would have walk when instead I ran.

Dad made a goal of doing it in 1 hour and 30 minutes. I told him I did 3 miles in 40 to 50 minutes, which means we wouldn't finish in that time frame. When we hit mile 1, I thought I cannot, I mean CANNOT keep up this pace. Dad says we are going up hill that is why mile 1 feels tough. We did mile 1 in 14 minutes, mile 2 in 13 minutes, mile 3 in 14 minutes, we missed mile 4 marker and mile 5. I couldn't tell you the time when we hit mile 6, but I was ready for it to be over with. I was spent. We official crossed the finish line at 1 hour 23 minutes and 55 or 56 seconds depending on which watch (dad or mine)...I am going with mine at 55.

This was a faster time that the IBM 10K which I finished in 1 hour 31 minutes and 24 seconds.

1 comment:

Short Fry said...

You two look like pro runners! Two thumbs up!