December 29, 2009

Postsecret / Knee issues

Postsecret Book Signing
Okay so I have wanted to post this for awhile, but I couldn't because my friend was getting a gift from the signing. It has been quite a number of years that I have read postsecret.com every Sunday for secrets. It was an art project that one man, Frank Warren, started. He passed out 100 to 150 blank postcards with his address on it. He want anonymous secrets that were anything from any range of emotions. He than put them together into an exhibit still on display. He didn't know it then, but the project had a life of its own and it spread. He was done with the exhibit at the museum so he used new media, the internet, to share the secrets every week. He scans in about 20 of them out of the 1,000 he gets a week. Frank said at the book signing that he wants to get a range of emotion in each posting and that he wants to connect it in some way.

I like to read other people secrets, I guess that is the voyeurism in me. Sometimes I find something I relate to, other times I feel like nothing speaks to me. I felt awkward getting my book signed and my dad got my friend's signed. My dad said I could get a picture with him, but that weird'ed me out. I am not that type of person who needed a picture or anything. It was nice to just hear his stories of how he started, some secrets, and an a overall experience of it all. I knew my friend would be thrilled about the book. I didn't mention it to her so I didn't have to lied to her about it all.

I planned out in my head that I would also put post-its in the book of secrets, stories, and comments on things. I also got my mom involved in putting post-its in it (it was her present to my friend). It turned out to be an excellent present. She is slowly devouring a few postsecrets every day to extend out the book.


My Knee Issues--more like doctor issues
Okay lets do the math---insurance with high deductible = out of pocket

$180---Doctor Appt. 1st- meet doctor, had 4 x-rays done
$130---Active Release Techniques(ART-definition below in blue) Therapy doctor- meeting 1- meet him, messaged my knee, sent me to another person to do exercises
$80---ART Therapy doctor- meeting 2- messaged knee, sent me to another person to do exercises
$80---ART Therapy doctor- meeting 3- messaged knee, sent me to another person to do exercises
$130---Physical Therapy doctor- meeting 1-meet her, checked out legs walking and flexiblity, show some streches that I could do
$80---Physical Therapy doctor- meeting 2- did strectches, massaged calfs, did more stretching
$80---Physical Therapy doctor- meeting 3---$80(meeting Thursday)
$5(one time charge)---Electrodes pads- used to send small electric charges into the hurt area

In the past 2 weeks, I have spent $765.00 out of pocket on doctors. Not very happy about it. I have been trying to save and this is just sucking it all out. My knee is still the same (some days it hurts, some days no problems). I have had trouble convincing myself to go to both doctors, 3 appt. is $240, which is a chuck of change. I am also going with my gut instinct and going to go to my Physical therapist more often than my ART Therapy doctor for right now.

Also, in all this fun of spending money, I was told by my physical therapist that I was in the wrong running and walking shoes. So I had to purchase shoes that better fit my feet. I also don't have the best socks, too, so that was also added on top of getting new shoes. I think it came out to be roughly $100(not bad I was thinking about $150-$200). I will be wearing my new shoes tomorrow (wed.) to work, hopefully it goes well. I am hoping for the best.

What is Active Release Techniques (ART) to Patients?
ART is a patented, state of the art soft tissue system/movement based massage technique that treats problems with muscles, tendons, ligaments, fascia and nerves.

1 comment:

Short Fry said...

"Frank said at the book signing that he wants to get a range of emotion in each posting and that he wants to connect it in some way."

Wow. I think that's really interesting and telling of our human experience. Each and every one of us is secretly wanting to connect with other people. I think post secret is simply one way to do it, though there are also many others.

I still proclaim that your PS book was and IS so precious to me. The thoughts on the inside pages are so meaningful.

Side note: $765.00 paid in Dr.'s fees?!?1 I think that's ridiculous! You could have bought ONE and a HALF tickets to come meet in Athens for that price. ::grumpy face::