February 12, 2010

Cooking at a early age

Christmas of 1987.


See I was working all by myself on whatever Santa butter cookie shape. I am very concentrated on the task I had. Like I remember any of this. The next thing I know...


Out of nowhere I have a brother with flour caked on his face, and I have it on my cheeks and nose. How did that get there? But that is not all...


Then the flour continued to spread not only to me and Justin, but to my dad and other brother Matthew. How strange....


But we all seem to be enjoying to mess, on our hands, faces, the kitchen counter, and most likely the kitchen floor. All for the sake of cookies....


Look at those beauties. Two of the proud decorators all clean from their cookie making and decorating adventure.

I also wanted to add, that our parents were good at letting us get in the kitchen to make things. I think it formed some independence, creativity, and a family communal place. I think that my brother Justin made the biggest change. As my mom would say he never ate anything green as a kid and only liked mac and cheese with hot dogs. Now, not only is he making things from scratch he is picking thing from the forest. What do you do with nine pounds of mushrooms? Justinsomnia.org I guess we will find out in the coming weeks what he makes.

Here is Justin in 1989. It might have been a stepping off point, of his future cooking endeavors.

No comments: