How do you find a hostel? How do you find a gorcery store? All things take patience, time, and asking random people all the while searching. Here is my story.
The arrival in Rome was a good one, a better train ride than Cannes to Genoa. On to a new country and new experiences. I walked to my hostel which is always tricky finding your way. I got off the train and headed one way. None of the streets were showing on my Google map. Luckily I saw the information desk in the train station, so I walked around. They had a map and told me which way to go. If not it might have taken me a lot longer to find which way to go.
I dropped my bags off, changed my shirt(very sweaty), relaxed, organized, and made my bed. I decided I needed to get some food from a supermarket, so I asked directions at the reception and headed off. It was a nice walk, much better without the bags. I couldn't seem to find the grocery store. So I kept wandering around up and down and around the streets. As I am walking again down the street behind me I heard English speaking. I turned around and said YOU speak English. They said yes. I asked had they seen a grocery store. They said no. I said thanks and have a good trip and walked ahead of them.
My last resort before going to a restaurant was trying in broken Italian do you speak English to the doorman of a hotel. He said a little. I asked grocery store? Dove (Where)? He pointed to my map and realize I was one street off, I also realize that walking to this grocery store I wouldn't have known it existed. No big sign, no carts, very plain on the outside. It was a lovely grocery store I bought some bread, tomatoes, and mozzarella.
I then walked back to the hostel 'home' for all intensive purposes. I used the kitchen there. I squished the inside of the tomato on the bread then sliced the tomato and placed it on top of bread then cut of some mozzarella and placed on top of the tomato then broiled it. All the while talking to my dad about my adventures, how I was feeling, and anything else I could come up with. I told him he had to take notes so he could tell my mom. I knew they were worried about me getting medicine in Genoa and getting to Rome safely. I made it and the adventure begins all over again.
I realize at this point I know how to say Do you speak English? in 3 languages. English, Spanish Hables Ingles(Ha-bla-es In-glas)?, and Italian Parla Inglese (Par-la In-glay-say)?
No comments:
Post a Comment