August 30, 2011

Barcelona Apr 1-6 : Gaudi Tour Part 4 Inside

The inside. I can tell you even if you see pictures you still go in there and you immediate reaction is to just tilt your head up and look up. It is quite spectacular. The inside is officially done, the outside is the only part that need to be completed.

As you walk in.


A look down the nave. On the left(where all those people are) is where I entered. On the right is the original Nativity scene Gaudi did.


At the other end of the nave which you can't tell in the picture, but it is quite golden where the sun is streaming in. You can see it in the above picture which is above the gold ring that has Jesus on a cross under it.


Has beautiful stained glass. This is from the opposite side I entered in which goes out toward the Nativity scene.


A close up of the stained glass.

Now the next pictures I took as the tour guide showed them to us. This is how Gaudi understood columns in the Sagrada Familia. He would take a sheet with hundreds of weights and he would pull and readjust until he was satisfied. Then he would take a picture, like the one below.


He would then take that picture and flip in upside down to see the columns he wanted to use in to structure. Now I don't get it completely, but he was well before his time in figuring out open space using the idea of a tree. So if you look at the above pictures of the Sagrada Familia you can kind of see a tree like structure at the top so there was less columns on the ground to block the view.

No comments: