August 16, 2011

Granada- March 30/31 - Lots of pictures

While studying Art history, I fell in love with this place La Alhambra "The Red Palace." All I can compare it to is seeing one of your lifetime goals to visit come true in front of your eyes. You walk down and up a path, you turn a corner of the wall that surrounds it and the buildings surround you. The outsides are pretty simple and don't standout with all the decorations like that are on the inside.

The entrance name in Spanish and Arabic.


It is a big area, currently 5 families live here. Once was a great place for Arabs, then King Charles V started to build a palace, but it was never completed. The Alhambra was abandoned at some point for a number of years. People came and started to live at the Alhambra, it is considered to be their land and stays in the family. Originally there was 12 or so families living, but years pass and children move on. The area is protected now and no more people can live at the Alhambra. So the next generations of the current families move on or stay, but they have a choice.


Inside one building with both the Christian symbols and the Islamic decoration.


Detail of the underside of the column.


Beautiful views.


The upper wall would have been decorated, but as years go by some pieces fall off.


I like the colors in the decoration. It was told to me that everything would have been painted like this, but with time the paint has deteriorated.


Here is some more coloring and Also a pray to Allah ('God').


Here is the detail of the word Allah.


The walls are decorated with the pray to Allah and designs which focuses on nature.


The Red Palace, it is famous for the reflection on the pool of water. The water is an important part of the Islamic religion. There are 5 calls to pray through the day and night, every person would have to wash themselves (I believe feet and hands) to be pure/clean when they pray. There is fountains that go through rooms. It is quite wonderful the way they are everywhere.


My number one favorite thing I wanted to see in the whole wide world was the lion fountain. Unfortunately, I get there and it is being restored. I saw the lions in person, but no pictures were allowed to be taken. This next image is google'd and found on Annette's Travels blog.


As you can see the water pathways and the fountains. The lions are a nice white color now. Would have loved it to see it in its natural courtyard/garden. Maybe creates another opportunity to go visit it again without a guide talking a lot and giving way too much information and just walking, walking, walking. I would have loved to enjoy this place more and sit awhile, but you get what you get with a short tour.


Here are some of the designs of nature.


This place was spectacular with the stalactite ceilings. You just look up and stand there is awe.


Shot of different roofs shapes, use of materials for the walls, and design. I just like this shot they way it is layered.


This is Charles V palace that was never finished.


A interesting shot I took of Charles V palace. Just like this shot too because of the layer and the textures in the stone.


This was a cool water area and the garden just like Real Alcazar in Seville the gardens are below the walkway.


A look back at the Alhambra.


A shot with me and the Alhambra.


The city of Granada. I loved this walking path. The Alhambra is located on a mountain top toward one side of the city.


This was a massive church, which was closed. The buildings are so close to it; it is like a massive building out of nowhere.


Around the yellow building on the left side of the picture above there was an open spice market. It look so beautiful with all the colors.


Interesting one way streets and a shot of the snow capped mountain.


Alhambra at night (taken while in a car). I enjoy the movement in this shot.


Taken from the Gypsies area of the city. You can see Granada to the right of the picture.


Another shot of the Alhambra at night. The round thing which is slightly grey is Charles V palace.


From my balcony at the Los Angeles Hotel. Just loved the view.

No comments: