The evening before leaving for Barcelona from Madrid, I was pick-pocketed. It was a devastating experience and overwhelming with it only being 2 weeks into my 3 month trip. As I remembered it, I wasn't feeling well due to a cold a few days prior. If you know me I like to prep and plan things, so on the tour bus I started prepping for my upcoming stay at the hostel that night. I put everything away and after a bit we (the tour bus) finally arrived into Madrid. I stated to everyone to make sure they had everything and checked back on my seat to make sure too. We all said our good-byes and good luck with our future trip plans, then I headed to my hostel for the night.
It was around 5 or 6pm and the metro (aka subway) was packed. I got into a packed subway (where I believe it happened) because I was shoved from behind me even though I was already pretty tight in the car. The doors closed and I got off at the change stop. I then got on another metro (slightly less packed) which took me to my stop at Tirso de Molina. I got out, went up the stairs and walked to my hostel. I went to the front desk to check-in, grabbed out my bag of money (which I prepped in the bus), retrieved my passport also in my purse during the metro, but it was always in my money belt otherwise. I checked in and was relieved to get my bags off my back. I headed to the bathroom and decided to do some blogging. I looked in my purse for my camera (which I had moved earlier), then I noticed my wallet was gone.
IN A SPAN OF 25 MINUTES AND 2 METRO CARS MY WALLET WAS GONE
Adrenaline pumped though my body because my hands started to shake and I had a sense of dread with slight sickness to my chest and belly. I started looking through everything, checked at the front desk for my wallet, went to the computer room and looked up the number for the tour company. The tour company said they were close and could I call back tomorrow. I was like this is my wallet, do you not understand it had everything in it. She said she would call the tour guide to make sure nothing was on the bus. After that I called my mom freaking out/crying *getting really upset and stressed* and told her that my wallet is missing, she in turn called my dad to tell him, and he in turn went home to get the information on my credit cards to start cancelling them. I didn't know what to do with myself so I headed toward the tour office myself even though they were closed. At the mid-point stop I called the tour lady back to see if it was on the bus, but I knew that it wasn't on the bus. She said that the bus was empty and they made sure that it was. I then called my mom telling her that the wallet wasn't in the bus. I was crunched up in a corner near a elevator sobbing with slight hyperventilating. She then asked me if there was any way it was in any of my stuff. To which I replied I checked it 3 to 4 timmmmeeeesssss (times). I don't have it. *sobbing* She said should we cancel the cards and I said yes, it is all gone, it is all gone. *sobbing*
I told her I didn't know what to do *sobbing* I was heading to the tour office and I am at a mid-point in the metro. I don't know if I should go forward or back to the hostel. My mom said go back to the hostel your dad is heading home to cancel the cards, he might call you. She then said call me in an hour, okay? I said I would. She then said are you okay can you get back to the hostel? I said yes. *still upset, but not sobbing* So I walked up the stairs to the other side to take the metro back to the hostel stop.*keeping head down and holding on to purse* I got to the hostel and with all my stuff(excluding my wallet of course). I received a call from my dad saying that they put a stop on my cards, but the credit card people needed to talk to me. I then proceeded to talk with every card company that I had a card from. The hardest part is remembering all the secret codes and numbers to accounts when you are upset and stressed out. Then you have to tell the operator trying to help you they you might cry and that I am okay.
After I made it through all my cards, I call my dad back at home to go through the list to make sure I got every card. Just to make twice as sure. I did get them all. Through this all, I am crying, upset, sick to my stomach, sick from a cold, exhausted, and hungry. All the girls in that room were very helpful, nice, and quiet during my phone calls (kind of listening in too). I hadn't eaten since lunchtime now it is midnight. I am sitting there eating some food I had in my bag and chatting with the girls in my room who said you handled that very well. They then proceeded to tell me that most of them knew someone or had it done to them. I thought ohhh great *roll of eyes* I am now a part of this group. Not a group I particularly wanted to be a part of, but I sure was now.
I am officially exhausted and decided to fall asleep because I have a 2 metros to take to the train station to go to Barcelona tomorrow.
p.s. Due to the pick-pocketers they got 60 euros from me, they didn't use my cards. Luckily most of my money was in my money belt which had 300 euros. Due to the limited funds until I could get a card my dad found a way to wire me some money that I could pick up in Barcelona, until I could get this emergency card in Cannes, France with Christiane (Justin's' girlfriend's mom).
Without my parents as a back-up crew at home I don't know if I could have handled it as well. I do talk to certain people when I am crying/upset, they talk to me and calm me down (they are the rational one when I am the emotional one). My parents and Kendra(my best friend) have that affect. I needed them that night. I was glad they were there and for their help.
No comments:
Post a Comment